Translate

Tuesday, January 18, 2005

CPR often done wrong by doctors

Personally I have taken three CPR training courses within the last 11 years. I have used it once (real life) in a situation where a friend thought he could swim. I invited him to cruise on my Waverunner. I had gone to use the restroom and when I returned I saw him riding it nearby, without a life jacket. Within a couple of minutes he fell off it and started to panic, I new something was wrong, as I was yelling for help, I started to swim towards his direction. Thank god he was close by. Anyway, I new he was in big trouble and as I approached him I grabbed him. Of course, he did what any drowning person would do. He tried to sink me under, however I managed to grab the Waverunner. I then realized he did not panic anymore, I new I had to perform CPR. I perfomed CPR right on the Waverunner, believe or not. He eventually woke up, a happy ending. Now, even though I took some training courses I still was not sure. In reality its alot different (intense) than practicing on a dummy. Who knows, maybe I was not doing it the wrong way, my friend still managed to survive and he's doing well. Apparently, there was a study and they found a high percent of doctors where not performing CPR correctly . They are doctors you would think this would be second nature to them. Who knows maybe I am over my head:)

No comments: